Community leaders in Bradford, PA got a tour of the new SmartLab at Floyd Fretz Middle School. They watched a live student news broadcast and were introduced to the wide variety of engaging STEM activities in the SmartLab. Read more about their visit and observations in the Bradford Era: http://www.bradfordera.com/news/article_74522dbc-7c1f-11e4-b724-0b335d7e5355.html?mode=story
Here's an outstanding overview of best practices in STEM from MiddleWeb.
✔︎ Criteria for STEM Programs
1. Focus on integrating science, technology, engineering – preferably all four, although true integration of even two would be an acceptable step toward STEM.
2. Focus on a real-world problem or engineering challenge.
3. Use Inquiry-based, student-centered learning approaches.
4. Engage students in using an engineering design process that leads to developing a product or process to solve the engineering challenge.
5. Emphasize teamwork and communication.
6. Build rich content knowledge of science and mathematics.
Read the full article here: http://www.middleweb.com/20054/stem-2015-losing-focus/